CRUISE AND HORN SUDDENLY INOPERATIVE

1999 Mercury Sable

gas2001tech

July, 31, 2010 AT 1:28 PM

1999 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

The cruise control on this 1999 Sable has suddenly stopped working. After some troubleshooting, I think I have ruled out the fuses and brake switch. During the process, I found the horn does not work. Am I looking at a steering column pull job?

merlin2021

July, 31, 2010 AT 1:32 PM

You are most likely looking at the clockspring, you do need to remove the steering wheel.

gas2001tech

August, 2, 2010 AT 7:14 AM

Initially, I checked the fuses under the dash, all were fine. Since there was no common fuse for the Cruise Control and the Horn, I assumed the 2 weren't related, except thru marriage at the steering wheel. After more investigation, I checked the fuse block under the hood, found a blown fuse for the horn (no reference to the Cruise in the owner's manual), replaced it, and the horn and the Cruise now work.

Hope this may save others some looking. Merlin, thanks for the reply. I will save the clockspring question for later, should I need it. Hoping not to.

Thanks again.

merlin2021

August, 2, 2010 AT 1:11 PM

OK, I'll be watching out, if it blows again, we will check the steering wheel switches, and the clockspring out.