1992 Mercury Sable won't start

• 1 POST

1992 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

my 1992 sable wagon was running great but when I left work within 1/2 blk it made a weird noise sounded like it came from the area around the right tire. I drove on and within a mile and have I saw smoke coming from the engine I shut it off and a guy came to my rescue said no problem it need the bolts on the valve cover tightened and that it was just hot oil on the engine. He said I could continue driving no problem. Well it was a problem first the ac was blowing only hot so I turned it off then about 5 mile I saw the temp getting hot then all of a sudden no compression and it died help me what is wrong? It still has oil and water but wont start

Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 9:25 PM

• 500 POSTS

Start by telling me which V-6 you have - the 3.0 or the 3.8.

I need more information to help you to fix the problem. You need to check for fuel and spark.

Does the engine crank normally? Or is it uneven?

If the engine cranks OK, you need to first check for spark. You can do this by taking one of the spark plug wires off the spark plug. Use a spark tester, and check for spark. If no spark, then check at the coil wire. If still no spark, then diagnosis for no spark is the next step.

If you have spark, then you need to check for fuel. This is done with a fuel pressure tester. You can rent one at many parts stores - usually at a minimal cost or even free.

Report back with your results, and a can assist you further from there.

Keep in mind that I cannot fix your car over the internet. You must be my eyes, ears, and hands. I can provide the knowledge to guide you.

Good luck!

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 9:02 AM