FUEL FLOW PROBLEMS?

Mercury Mystique

lavindag

May, 13, 2007 AT 2:48 PM

1999 Merc Mystique, 123,000 miles.

I have to continually flip the key on and off to get the car cranked. Sometimes it will run fine for days. Then it seems like all of the sudden I can't get it cranked again. It will usually crank after several attempts. Now it is occassionally sputtering and revving up and down when it cranks. It will eventually run enough to move the car, but acts like it is not getting enough gas to go. Then it sounds like it backfires or something, and it will start running normally. I thought about starting repairs by changing the fuel filter but can't locate it. Any suggestions? ?

Hatenewkars

May, 24, 2007 AT 11:44 AM

I have the same car it is on the passenger side undernieth the car by the back seat. I just changed mine be careful not to brake plastic clips when installing like I did.

Needyhebe

November, 18, 2007 AT 7:52 AM

Sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel, or perhaps even too much. Start by pulling the codes and checking how much fuel pressure you have. If you do decide to change the fuel filter make sure you relieve the pressure first. Get yourself a repair manual. Also some parts store will pull the engine codes for you.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars