2002 MERCURY COUGAR HESITATION/SURGING/HITCHING

• Gott2Be
  • 2002 Mercury Cougar

2002 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 61000 miles

My check engine light has been going on and off for a while now, and then my car started to hitch. I had a diagnostic done on my car and ended up having the EGR valve replaced. It didn't help at all. Basically I'm noticing that the "hitching" occurs only when I'm holding the gas at a consitent pressure. Holding a steady speed and not doing an on/off the gas pedal deal. It feels like my engine just wants to give up, like it's not quite getting gas, and it's going to stall out. I hear no noises from the engine when the hitching occurs, and my RPM needle isn't effected either. Thank you for your time!

Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 9:28 PM

• jacquelinesharronmcnabb

I am having the exact same problem with my 2001 mercury cougar. 6 cylinder, automatic- slight hesitation at 37 mph then at 47 mph. It also is getting bad gas mileage since this started. Have you came up with a fix?

Friday, August 31st, 2012 AT 3:16 AM