ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT ELECTRICAL AREA

1999 Mercury Cougar

totallylost22

April, 4, 2010 AT 3:32 PM

1999 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 99430 miles

My car is a 99 mercury cougar.

The problem is, I start my car and it starts fine, I let it sit there to warm up. While its running the gas and other gauges magically all die and go to empty, etc. So I turn my car off and attempt to restart it to see what it does and it does a clicking/brushing kind of sound. If I let it sit for awhile it will start but the guages do the same thing after a bit. I already know I need to get the starter looked at because of previous problems but with the gauges screwing around like that do you think its more of a battery on the verge of totally dying or a bigger electrical problem. The radio and headlights all work fine, but it takes more juice to turn the car over and such im not real car saavy so im lost. Just trying to get a general idea of what the problem could be before I take it in to see a mechanic if that.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

April, 6, 2010 AT 1:38 PM

If you think it's a battery, most auto parts stores can check it for rfree for you. They can check the starter as well but you need to pull it off. If the guages die but eh car still runs you either have a short orone of your regulators is screwed up for the guages. Or you have a ground problem. Grounds are easy to fix as you just disconnect them and clean them and reinstall them. But you'll have to look for them they run off the battery and connect to the engine/ body, etc.