2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Engine Turns but will not starts

MAPPY0NE
  • 2000 MERCEDES BENZ S500

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 139000 miles

Hi my name is Serey and I am looking for some trouble shooting help.

I own a 2000 S500 with 139,000 mile plus. Recently, I took my family on vacation and drove from Mass to Florida and back.

Here is the problem that I'm trying to diagnose.

While I was in Florida this problem occured. I drove the car and stopped to have lunch and the engine would not start. It would just turn and turn and turn. My thought was that there might be an ignition system issue since the engine truns but would not fire-up. So I disconnected the negative battery terminal and I pulled the fuse out one by one to see if I have any blown fuses and after about 10 minutes or so it starts just fine.

It started just fine after that until I got back home and the same problem reoccurred 5 or 6 days later but after 6 or 7 times turning the key it started.

Today (4 days later) I drove my wife and children to visit my parents and now it will not start at all. The engine would just turn and turn and turn but will NOT fire-up.

Any ideas as to what could be the source of this ignition problem?

Any help in determining the source of this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Serey V. Oum

Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 1:08 AM

No start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

-2
Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 2:03 AM
MAPPY0NE

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Engine Turns but will not starts.

Summary update of the above engine problem.

I returned to pick up my S500 from my mom place and was dreading the worse that I have to have it towed to a repair shop but it was not so. It started just fine.

I bought an OBD code reader and the ONLY codes reported were O2 sensors. I did not want to leave it to chance so I replaced the crankshaft sensor anyway after reading about intermittent engine starting issue and that it could be the crankshaft sensor going bad.

Since then the above problem has not re-occurs therefore one can only conclude that it was the crankshaft sensor.

+2
Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 1:23 PM

We appreciate your comeback with the fix thank you

Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 1:37 PM
LOWEEDA HAYMAN

No start condition
My S 500 will not start have not tried to started it in a year. They only problem I ever had with it was the struts. I thought maybe it was the crankshaft sensor. I replaced it and it still will not start. What could the problem be. Also have a fuse that keep blowing under the rear back set. That controls the emergency lights.

Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 8:26 PM
MHPAUTOS

You need to check that you have fuel pressure and probably any fuel left in the tank will have gone bad, replace the fuel filter and make sure that you have good spark, I am thinking that it will be fuel related if it has been sitting for an extended period. The blown fuse will be a dead short, this may have to be checked by someone with a good electrical understanding, one simple test is to remove all the globes on the fuse and then see if the fuse blows, if not replace each globe one at a time this way you may be able to isolate the circuit t fault.

Saturday, June 17th, 2017 AT 2:49 AM