1995 Mercedes Benz S320 Mystery vibration

GERARDIE
  • 1995 MERCEDES BENZ S320
Ok this is really driving me crazy. My S320 Mercedes vibrates at 50mph but runs smooth before and after that speed.

My mechanic changed all the rotors, brakes, ball joints, sway bar or stabilizer bar links, and control arm joints. When he took it down from the lift and I drove home, it was nice and smooth for about 5 - 7 miles then it started vibrating again. Urrg! I then balanced all four wheels but to no avail. When I took it back to the mechanic, he put it on the lift and found nothing. I told him to take it down and drive it. He did and it drove smooth and silk. So he said there is no problem(maybe its the road he said). So with egg on my face I left and sure enough after about 5 - 7 miles it got the shakes again. Urrg!

I do hear a rattling or knocking noise on the right front section when I go in a pot hole and the same noise when the car is vibrating. But the mechanic did not find anything that was loose.

I am beginning to think that when it is put on a lift whatever the problem is sorts of goes back into place then by driving it slowly comes out again.

I have no idea what is going on can you help?

Jerry
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 5:57 PM

MATHIASO
Hello gerardie,
you said "My mechanic changed all the rotors, brakes, ball joints, sway bar or stabilizer bar links, and control arm joints"
why did your mechanic change those parts, because of the same problem causing noises?Or for just preventive maintenance.
Before diagnosing the problem, I want to make sure that the noise is not related to the part the mechanic have put on the vehicle.
Need more informations.
Wednesday, October 28th, 2009 AT 3:03 PM
GERARDIE
Sorry I should have mentioned that the very first time he look at it, he said that the sway bar links were bad and they were causing the problem. So he said that I miay as well change everything since he has to remove all that stuff to get access anyway and the car is a 1995 cars to just change everything.

But that did not work.
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 7:43 AM
MATHIASO
A rattling ticking slapping coming from the very front of the engine ( on the right front section ) may be your timing chain is lose.
A broken timing chain can lead to serious engine damage.
it need to be checked, if lose, replace it before thing get ugly.
this is the one on your mercedes

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_timing_chain_1.jpg

have your mechanic checked it and keep me updated.
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 3:07 PM
GERARDIE
I am not a mechanic but I can't see how it could be the chain. I said the sound is coming from the the right front when I go into a pot hole or a bump/hump, not constantly while driving. It sound like something in the wheel section. I did not mention the engine. Its not a ticking slapping sound.
Plus how will that explain the sound going away when the car comes off the lift and coming back a little while after?

Thanks anyway.
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 3:46 PM
MATHIASO
Let do it this way, when driving the car, and it started to vibrate, stop immediatelly, and let me know if the vibration stops at the same time or it keep vibrating.
If the whole car is vibrating not small shaking, I still suspect the timing chain. It is on and off, could brake anytime and causes valves to bend. The biggest worry is to make sure that the timing chain is ok but I still suspect it.
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 4:25 PM