1997 MERCEDES BENZ C230 HEATER

• issy
  • 1997 Mercedes Benz C230

Air Conditioning problem
1997 Mercedes Benz C230 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

There is hot air coming continuously into the passenger compartment regardless of the temperature setting. Seems like some sort of regulating valve is stuck in the open position and is not responding to the temperature knob. The air conditioning gas has been refilled but this makes no difference i.E. The heat just stays on.
Is there a simple method by which I could remove a fuse or disconnect a switch to eliminate this problem. I want to avoid expensive diagnostic investigations as long as I am able to prevent the hot water circulating in the heater element.
Thank you

Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 10:47 PM

• gfimotorcars
  • 681 posts

This sounds like you may have a stuck heater exchange valve. This valve is located on the fire wall and is an asquare metal block. You will see a delivery and return heater hose coming out of it and it should be located on the passanger side in the engine compartment. If you tap this exchange valve with a hammer you may knock the stuck valve loose.

Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 10:46 PM