1979 Mercedes Benz 450sl gas not getting to the engine

• 1 POST
  • 1979 MERCEDES BENZ 450SL

1979 Mercedes Benz 450sl V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 14800 miles

Every time I start the car it starts but does not turn over. I put on a new fuel pump but still it does not start. If I get it started it sputters and loses acceleration. It will not go up a hill and eventually will cut off and not start.

Friday, September 18th, 2009 AT 10:46 AM

Don't mind for the previous post.
my boss remind me of the mistake.
you do not have Diesel, you have BOSCH K-JETRONIC (CIS) MECHANICAL FUEL INJECTION.
You will need to adjust the fuel pressure.
The fuel pressure can be adjusted on the regulator with the adjusting screw. Adjust to 28 psi. If a slight turn of the screw shows no change of pressure replace the regulator.

Location of the adjusting screw on the fuel pressure regulatorBosch electronic fuel injected models

Before replacing the regulator or removing the pressure gauge, reduce the pressure in the ring line by unplugging the starting valve and connecting it to battery voltage for 20 seconds.

Regulating Shaft

Step on the accelerator pedal up to the kickdown. The regulating lever should rest against the fuel throttle stop of the valve.
Loosen the hex bolt and push the linkage up to the full throttle stop if adjustment is required.
Check the linkage for ease of operation.
Check that the throttle valve closes completely. Disconnect the regulating rods.
Adjust the pushrod to a length of 4 in. from the center of the rubber mount to the center of the ball socket and attach

Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 5:44 AM