MERCEDES GASOLINE FUEL INJECTED ENGINE GETTING FUEL BUT WON'T START

1979 Mercedes Benz 450sl

kd51145

September, 25, 2011 AT 11:11 PM

I've replaced the fuel pump and checked for operation and find I'm getting fuel all the way to the injectors. I poured a bit of gasoline into the bowl near the fuel injector distributor and it fires right up but oly runs until the fuel is exhausted. I have the Chiltons 48300 book on the model but I've found nothing that remotely resembles my problem.

Not a lot of money but I contributed $10.00 today.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 26, 2011 AT 12:57 AM

Hi: I don't know if you had a reply yet because it is posted differently. Have you checked to see if there is power to the injectors? You need a noid light or test light. If there is no power, you need to trace the wiring back the computer, checking for damage. The computer itself could be bad too, but that would require a shop to check.

kodak

Very eratic idle

kd51145

January, 18, 2012 AT 12:14 AM

I am so sorry for the bad problem. It should have read "Mercedes 450sl Gasoline Fuel Injected Engine Getting fuel to distributor But Won't Start". As you know, it is a mechanical (non-electrical) injection system. I have checked further into the last two components and cleared the lines. Unfortunately, it didn't continue to run when I restarted it. My next step is to remove those last two components and clean them. The two components are on the front of the engine after the fuel distributor in the fuel flow.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right