1996 MERCEDES BENZ 300D ENGINE DIED

• Johnalewis1938
  • 1996 MERCEDES BENZ 300D

1996 Mercedes Benz 300d 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

I have a 1996 mercedes c class diesel and while driving home the engine just stopped. The abs and ets lights came on. After 2 minutes I restarted the car and returneed home. This happened again the next day. I just had new fuel filter installed as well as new gas lines. I pulled the ignition key out and locked the doors and unlocked them to restart the car and it restarted. The car drives very well. Can you help me?

Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 5:45 PM

• Mmprince4000

Are you still having the stalling problem?

I would have mechanic who installed filter re-check work, filter may be installed against flow.

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 7:13 AM
  • Johnalewis1938

I t died again this morning. My wife pulled the car over to the side of the road. The anti-theft light started to flicker from red to green on the inside rearview mirror. She pulled the key out and locked and then unlocked the car and restarted it. It runs beautifully until it just dies out. The mechanic who installed the new fuel filter said it was not against the flow. We are baffled. Any other ideas?

Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 2:05 PM
  • Mmprince4000

Yes, it could be the anti-theft system. Check owners manual on reset procedure.

Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 AT 8:27 AM