INJECTION PUMP TIMING Checking (High Pressure Method)
1. Clean injection lines in range of coupling nuts on injection pump as well as on fuel filter. Set control rod of injection pump to full load.
2. Completely remove air cleaner. Pull off vacuum line on stop capsule. Unscrew injection line from cylinder No. 1. Using Diesel Injection Test Kit (617 589 00 91 00), (Note You can make this tool yourself using an injection line) screw test line with sight glass to injection pump and install return flow line to fuel tank of pump unit.
3. Close fuel return line from injection pump to fuel filter. Insert "O" ring into ring fitting of return flow line and firmly press in quick lock. Connect supply line from pump unit to injection pump supply.
4. Connect cable of pump unit to vehicle battery (Red terminal positive, Black terminal negative). Turn crankshaft to approximately 35 degrees BTDC on compression stroke of No. 1 cylinder. Engage pump unit.
NOTE:Engage pump unit for measuring only. If an injection nozzle is leaking, fuel may enter combustion chamber.
5. Rotate crankshaft slowly in direction of rotation of engine while watching fuel jet in sight glass. If fuel jet changes to chain-like drops, start of delivery (injection timing) has been attained. In this position, read beginning of delivery (injection timing) on graduated scale on belt tension. Nominal value is 24 degrees BTDC.
Adjustment (High Pressure Method)
1. Turn crankshaft to 24 degrees BTDC on compression stroke of No. 1 cylinder. Loosen injection pump flange and support bolts.
2. Connect pump unit. Swivel injection pump by turning adjusting screw (clockwise to retard timing, counterclockwise to advance timing) while watching fuel stream. If fuel stream changes to drops, injection timing (start of fuel delivery) has been attained.
3. Disconnect pump unit. Assemble injection system and check regulating linkage. Adjust linkage if needed. Run engine and check connections for leaks. Injection system will automatically vent itself when engine is started.
INJECTION PUMP TIMING Application
All Models 24
Monday, September 27th, 2010 AT 10:58 PM