SHOCKS AND STRUTS

1995 Mercedes Benz 300d

chasef16

February, 8, 2010 AT 6:29 AM

Suspension problem
1995 Mercedes Benz 300d 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

How difficult is it to replace the shocks (back) and struts (front) on this car, and will I need any special tools to compress the struts?

Jack42

February, 9, 2010 AT 7:35 AM

My software doesnt even show a 95 300d, so Icant look it up for you, but therear shocks should be pretty straight forward, yes you will need a strut compressor for the fronts, and plan on an alignment after you have finished the fronts. Dont try to rig up something for compressing the front springs, you could hurt yourself.

Dr Loot

March, 2, 2010 AT 9:16 PM

Mercedes benz has one of the most advanced suspensions known to man, Independent rear suspension has one coil spring, one shock absorber and 5 links per side. Rear axle carrier mounts to frame body and supports rear axle assembly. Some vehicles are equipped with a level control system.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/307270_M_B_300d_1.jpg

The front suspension is almost identical:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/307270_MB300d_front_1.jpg

Mercedes Benz does not use Struts, their suspension is far more advanced and designed to give you the maximum comfort and an incredible ride.

now to answer your question; to replace the rear shocks you will need to remove the entire back seat to have access to the upper shock towers, Unless they are visible from the trunk, but I doubt it, you will need two Jack's Or some Jack stands, once you have the car securely lifted, you will need one Jack to jack up and support the Lower control as you remove the shock, you will have to do the same procedure on the front, if you need further assistance let me know.

Safely Replace Your Rear Struts
Replacing Your Front Struts Like a Pro
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Upper Control Arm Replacement