2003 MAZDA TRIBUTE BATTERY NOT CHARGING

• k5cqb
  • 2003 Mazda Tribute

2003 Mazda Tribute 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

The alternator appears to not be working. The battery voltage with the engine off is 12.7 volts. When started the voltage jumps to 12.9 volts then quickly returns to 12.7v.

The battery warning light is not on when the vehicle is running. When I turn the ignition to the on position without starting the battery lights comes on for a fraction of a second then disappears. The other lights stay on but not this one.

I have checked the alternator fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and it's OK. The battery cables are all clean and the connections are tight.

Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 11:41 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

The alternator has an internal failure, possibly a faulty regulator, get the alternator o/hauled, this should fix your problem.

Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 12:10 AM
  • k5cqb

Thanks, it was the alternator.

Just a tip here. If you buy an alternator have the seller test it before you leave the store. The brand new alternator I bought tested bad. Since I had to remove the wheel spindle and axle to get to the alternator I would have lost my composure if I put the bad one in only to find it didn't work.

Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 2:19 PM
  • mhpautos

Hi there, not the first time ihave hard this happening, good luck with it.

Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 4:31 PM