, 96', 120K, , 1.5 DOHC: CV-JOINT

1996 Mazda Protege

boomoo1011

March, 14, 2007 AT 9:31 PM

Techs,
I had an outer cv point broken open and was told to get it fixed asap. So, I looked into what to do and decided to replace both front axles instead of just the boots. I have run into some problems and need advice on how to go about solving them.
1) The rotor on the passenger side of the vehicle will not come off. I have taken the wheel off, the lock nut, and the caliper off. I is really stuck on there because I have tried very hard to get it off. (The driver side rotor came off as soon as I removed the caliper.) I have spoken to a few guys at work and gotten a few tips. I was wondering if you techs had an experience like this and what you did to overcome it. Maybe heating the rotor and knocking it loose?
2) I am also unable to get the halfshafts off the car. The passenger side halfshaft will not budge from the wheel's thoothed socket. The auto repair manuals I have read have refered to simply pulling it or using a rubber mallet to get it out. I have tried both and have made no progress. The same halfshalf will not budge from the intermediate halfshaft. The manuals have said to use a pry bar and gently knock it out. This too has not worked for me. I haven't started to remove the driver side halfshaft because I need to get the tie end rod out. Anyway, is there something I am missing here? I am starting to become hopeless and need some kind of solution that has previously work and some reassurance.
I really want to get it apart so please reply asap!
Thanks a bunch.

Jack42

March, 15, 2007 AT 8:27 AM

A little heat might help but you neeed to be careful not to cook the bearing seals. Might need to drop the mallet in favor of a real hammer. Most axles are held in by circular clips that sometimes take more than a light tap to get apart. Dont really need to remove the rotor, work around it, it isnt part of the outer hub assembly

CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
Wheel Bearing Replacement
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250