1998 Mazda Protege AC/Heater Fan does not work

TRANSMICO
  • 1998 MAZDA PROTEGE
Hi,

My switch which has 4 positions for fan control stopped working. The fan does not work no matter what I try. I took the blower fan out and plugged it to a 12V power supply and it works. I checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I checked the blower resistor but I am not 100% sure of the Ohms values, but I got readings between 2-6 ohms at different points. The last thing I want to check is the Blower Relay, but I can't find it, I have a Hanyes manual and checked all the wire color codes and I can't seem to find the relay. Do you have idea of where it might be, or do you think it is the blower resistor that is the problem?

Thank you for all your help.
Transmico.
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 5:14 PM

The BMR is behind left side of dash-sorry no pic
+2
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 5:39 PM
TRANSMICO
HI Rasmataz,

Thank you so much for your reply, but where on the left side, near the ingition or the fuse box?

T. :)
+1
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 8:32 PM
I'm using the Mit1 .com and Alldata and still cannot get the exact location-it looks like this

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_relay_29.jpg

+2
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 12:43 AM
TRANSMICO
Hi Rasmataz,

thank you for checking. I will check tonight and let you know what I find.

Transmico. :)
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 6:11 AM
TRANSMICO
Hi Rasmataz,

One thing I forgot to ask is the resistor values that I wrote in my original message, does that sound right to you?

Transmico.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 6:21 AM
TRANSMICO
Hi,

I found what the problem was, it was the BMR relay. It is located right above the clutch pedal. There are actually 2 relays side by side, one for AC/Heater Blower fan and the other for the dash lighting. I want to share this with other users and am posting 2 pictures to show the relay and the location. I temporarily disconnected the Dash relay (TNS relay) until I get a replacement relay. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

T :)

Well I tried to load the images but it did not work. If anyone needs them just reply and I will email them to you.
+4
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 9:43 PM
NUPE1911
I am having the same trouble with my mazda protege 2000. The fan speed does not work for 1, 2, or 3. But works only for speed 4. Can you please email me the picture or upload it so I can see where it is located so I can replace the BMR relay for the a/c?
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 8:16 PM
TRANSMICO
Sure, just send me your email to mannya1@gmail. Com and I will send it back you later this evening.

T.
Thursday, June 10th, 2010 AT 9:49 AM
TRANSMICO
But I just realized it might not be the same location, I found mine under the driver side dashboard right above the clutch pedal. It's a little hard to see them, there should be 2 relays side by side, the other one is for the dashboard lights. You mazda is a 2000, it might not be the same location, but I will send you the pictures in any case later tonight.

T. :)
Thursday, June 10th, 2010 AT 9:52 AM
NUPE1911
Okay great, email me at phinestnupe@hotmail. Com

Thanks alot Transmico,

Jay
Thursday, June 10th, 2010 AT 4:44 PM
BILRACBOST
How do you replace the Blower Relay, I found it, but now need to know how to replace it

thanks!
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 9:53 PM