AIR FUEL MIXTURE

1993 Mazda MX6

Jeff Svoboda

September, 22, 2010 AT 10:11 AM

1993 Mazda MX6 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 75000 miles

I have just finished rebuilding this 2.5L v6 and am at the stage of getting it started. The timing is set at 10 degrees btdc. I have fuel getting to the plugs and have plenty of spark. With the throttle wide open the engine cranks over until the mixture leans out and tries to start. It sputters for a few seconds and then the fuel mixture becomes too rich again. I have minimum vaccumn (about 1 lbs.) To my fuel pressure regulator. When I purchased the vehicle, the owner had removed all the smog equipment: egr valve, vaccumn lines, etc. I need to get the car up and running. Any suggestions would help.

September, 22, 2010 AT 4:13 PM

Hi Jeff Svoboda, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Find a full manifold vacuum that has about 17-21 inches and plug it to the FPR and then check the fuel pressure -When you set the ignition timing-Did you jumper TEN to GND in the check connector?

Also test the coolant temperature sensor and oxygen sensor-

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang