1993 Mazda B2200 Bad Power Booster or ABS System

• 1 POST
  • 1993 MAZDA B2200

Brakes problem
1993 Mazda b2200 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 92,000 miles

I have both the brake light and ABS dash lights on. I have bleed the brake lines. When I press the brake pedal, I get little to no brakes. I have checked the pads which are about 75 percent. The brakes would lock up while driving not sure why and no lights would come on. But once you pressed the brake pedal hard then everything would go back to normal. What could the problem be? I am not sure if the Power booster needs to be replace or if the ABS system is bad.

Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 12:15 PM

To check the vacuum brake booster, pump the brake pedal with the engine off until you've bled off all the vacuum from the unit. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine. You should feel the pedal depress slightly as engine vacuum enters the booster and pulls on the diaphragm. No change? Then check the vacuum hose connection and engine vacuum. If okay, the problem is in the booster and the booster needs to be replaced.

Monday, December 1st, 2008 AT 8:33 PM