2004 Mazda 6 Thick Smoke coming out exhaust

• 1 POST
  • 2004 MAZDA 6

2004 Mazda 6 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 94,000 miles

For about 2 years now, once in a while, when I start the car after its been sitting for some hours I notice thick smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes then it would stop. Everytime this happens I take the car to the dealership they check it out and nothing is detected according to them, because there is no check engine light on, so no error codes.
Sometimes I would be traffic and the smoke would consume the whole car. This problem is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do. Can you help me figure out what is happening to the car?

Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 AT 11:05 PM

If the smoke is white, it is engine coolant. You might notice the level dropping in the reservoir, or your mechanic might be filling it during other routine service such as an oil change. Coolant usually doesn't stop being burned in the engine while you're driving unless something different is happening. An example would be sitting in rush hour traffic on an unusually hot day. The engine would be hotter than normal and parts would expand and change shape more than normal. That could lead to something not sealing properly. Most of the time the coolant will continue to cause the smoke. It usually doesn't stop while you're driving.

Oil smoke is blue. Most commonly it will smoke right after starting the engine. Oil can run past valve guide seals into the engine where it collects. It is burned when the engine is started but it takes a lot longer to burn off than gasoline. Usually it will stop after a minute or two. This can be aggravated by a previous problem such as a leaky injector that allows excess raw fuel to get into the oil. That thins the oil making it easier to get past the piston rings into the cylinder where it will be burned. Over time, (weeks), the gas will be evaporated from the oil and burned and the smoking will stop.

Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 12:00 AM