ROUGH IDLE

1998 Mazda 323

kheett

1998 Mazda 323 Manual 170000 miles

Im having problems with my car's idle speed. Most of the time when I start the engine the idle speed moves up to 1.5 - 2.0 then goes back to 800 after a few minutes. This also happens while on the road when I slow down and shift to neutral, the idle increases again and takes time before it goes back to normal. But when I release the clutch when in gear, the idle goes back to normal and sometimes even go lower. Another problem is that when slowing down to stop from a high rev, the engine stutters and the rpm goes below up to 100 and sometimes the engine dies. What could be causing this?

YipYipU

January, 21, 2010 AT 5:52 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my 1999 Mazda 323 GT 1.8. Seems to be becoming more and more frequent as well and I'm having trouble getting to the route of this problem. I've had the Lambda Oxygen Sensor replaced and Cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor but hasn't made any difference. Help needed.

kheett

Hi! I replaced the air filter and I noticed some improvement. Before, this problem occurs frequently specially when the air-con is on. Now I noticed that it seldom occurs even with the aircon tuned on, however, when all the lights are on, the problem is still there although not as frequent as it used to be. What else should I have replaced to totally get rid of this?

m.kommalu

February, 2, 2010 AT 3:57 PM

Dears,
check the condition of 'idling motor' which supplies extra amount of fuel when engine is ON & A.C. Is ON.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang