Thank you for the donation.
The mechanic is correct. A trouble code can be due to various possibilitis and diagnostics have to be carried out to determine the cause.
DTC 2187 = Fuel System too lean at idle.
Detection condition :
PCM monitors short term fuel trim (SHRTFT ) and long term (LONGFT) during closed fuel control at idle. If the LONGFT and the sum total of these fuel trims exceed preprogrammed criteria, PCM determines that fuel system is too lean at idle.
Diagnostic support note :
1. This is a continous monitor ( Fuel System)
2. MIL illuminates if PCM detects the above malfuntioning condition in two consecutive drive cycles or in one drive cycle while the DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in PCM.
3. PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction conditions during first drive cycle.
4. FREEZE FRAME DATA available.
5. DTC is stored in PCM memory.
Possible causes :
2. Front HO2S deterioration.
3. Front HO2S heater malfuntion.
4. MAF sensor malfunction.
5. Pressure regulator ( built-in fuel injection pump) malfunction.
6. Fuel pump malfunction.
7. Fuel filter clogged or restricted.
8. Fuel leakage on fuel line from fuel delivery pipe and pump.
9. Exhaust system leakages.
10. Purge solenoid valve malfunction.
11. Purge solenoid hoses improper connection.
12. Air suction in intake-air system.
13. Insufficient engine compression.
14. Variable valve timing control system improper operation.
15. PCM malfunction.
If you are not doing the repair yourself, then you need to get it to someone who knows what to do.
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 9:36 AM