Low beam drivers side not working

WILBY94
  • 2012 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The low beam on the drivers side of my truck are not working. I replaced the bulb and it still does not work. All other lights work (parking lights etc, ). Any thoughts on what the problem is?
Monday, September 28th, 2015 AT 6:56 PM

CAR-MAN145
Fuse 16 in left side engine compartment fuse box powers the right side head light low beam. Here is a guide to help you check the fuse location and the headlight wiring diagrams to help you see how the system works:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
+1
Monday, January 28th, 2019 AT 6:56 PM
SHARAI
Thank you, it was the fuse. I love this site.
+1
Monday, January 28th, 2019 AT 6:56 PM
CHEFTBONETONY
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My low beam went out and I thought it was the bulb. I replaced both bulbs and turned the lights on and I still am unable to get the light to work. I tested the light socket and there is power to it when I turn the lights on. When I re-plugged the bulb back in it, it does not work. I tested the wire again, this time with the light in it and it does not have the same 11.9 reading on my meter.

It is just the passenger side that is out. I have checked the 20 amp fuse in the panel and it is good too.

The number seventeen fuse has has power to both sides of the fuse with the low beams on. The black ground wire for the lamp has 0.1 ohms. With the low beams on and the light bulb out of the connector, the yellow wire reads 11.8. When I plug the bulb in and turn the lights on the yellow bulb reads 0.00 nothing.

I have three bulbs here and I am able to power them up and get them working if I jump it with my power probe. It is when the circuit is completed by plugging in the bulb it looses power. In the fuse panel, I did switch the hi/lo rely with another from the panel and still have the same results.

I am able to jump it and get the bulb to come on. Help please and thank you.
Sunday, January 5th, 2020 AT 7:40 PM (Merged)
KEN

It looks like you might have a HDLP relay that is out, also you can check the power feeds to the headlight bulb. Here is a guide and a headlight wiring diagram and relay location guide (below) that will help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
+14
ZPITCH
Mine ended up being the BCM, I replaced it and now it all works again. (Body control module)
+10
KEN
Thank you for using 2CarPros:)

Cheers, Ken
+2
JACK4796
HAMPTON4PREZ - did the harnsss replacement work? Personally, I was able to watch a video or two with instructions on removing the headlamp.I did it and so could you. It would save you a bunch of money, and you only need a few tools and some painters tape.
+1
STEVEN_F
I have a similar issue with my driver headlight. Thought it was the bulb, replaced it and still didn t come on. I checked the fuse box under the hood and under the instrument panel all fuses lit the test light. Wires looked good no cracked, frayed or exposed wires. What could be the issue? Anything helps thanks.
KEN
If you look at the first response to the thread you will see there is a BCM that runs the lights which sounds like it went out. Here are the BCM replacement instructions in the diagrams below. Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can see what's going on, that would be great. You can upload it here with your response.
+1
DUSTIN FLINT
I have a 2011 chevy Silverado. My passenger headlight has had problems for a little while now it wouldnt come on so I replaced the bulb a couple days later it did the same thing so I replaced it again thinking I bought a bad bulb. It went out for a third time I bought another new bulb but this time I had the headlights power on to be able to see since I was in a parking lot and had no light at all when I touched the back of the bulb the light came on it was fine for a couple of months then it got to where it would'nt come on unless I touched the back of the bulb e very time I started the truck and then it just didnt want to stay on at all. I removed the headlight today and found a broke wire so I went and bought a new wiring harness for the low beam itself and wired it up turned the lights on and nothing happened again I still have the same problem. Any suggestions to what this could be? Thanks in advance for any info
KEN
When you removed the bulbs before were they blown, also what brand of bulbs are you using, AcDelco? What part of the bulb did you touch to make it work? Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can see what's going on? That would be great. You can upload it here with your response.
DUSTIN FLINT
I've been using Sylvania bulbs, I know to not touch the glass on the bulbs. I've been touch the plastic right behind the socket and give it the smallest wiggle and it comes on kind of like it's not making a good connection to the housing. I'm just not sure it the bulb has to make a contact inside the house or what else could be going on.
KEN
Get ACDelco bulbs, there is a difference. Let me know.
DONNERMAN28
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
Chevy, 2007 1500P/U, 130,000, V8. The headlights won't come on when the switch is turned. The daytime running lights seem to work fine. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be o.K. I have changed out the light switch but it did not help. I checked the voltage at the headlight plug and found approx. 9VDC. The lights themselves look o.K. And had good continuity. Can you help me please? I love this site!
JACK42

It looks like there is a low and high beam control relay in the system. If this relay does not work the low beams will not light up. Here is a guide to help you test the relay make sure the headlight switch is on.

Here is a guide to show you how to check for power at any given point.

Here is the headlight wiring diagram along withe the fuse panel location and identification.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+5
DONNERMAN28
I will check the relay tonight when I get home. I checked the fuses for the lights in the relay box under the hood which checks o.K. All of the interior lights work along with the dimmer.

I checked the voltage at each position on the connector itself. The connector has a total of 11 terminals with a group of 4 and a group of 7. Two of the group of 4 have black wires which I believe to be neg (-). With the connector oriented with the four terminals on the right I found 12 volts on the far right terminal above the grounds and on position 3 (going from right to left) on the 4 terminals in the group of 7. I also found 12 volts in the middle postion in the group of 3 of 7.

I also checked the voltage for at the bulb connector once again and found 9.4 volts when the running lights were on but zero volts when the switch was turned for headlights? I am stumped!
+1
JACK42
Power comes out of the switch and goes through the Daytime Running Lamp Module (behind left side of dash) be sure 12 volts is getting through that, then it goes through the dimmer switch (hi-low beam) check for 12 volts through that as well, get back to me.
+3
DONNERMAN28
I poked around the steering column looking for the terminal for the headlight dimmer switch and while poking I decided to try the relay test you have here and sure enough the lights started working when I replaced the relay! YA.

Needless to say I was puzzled before be now enlightened by 2Carpros

I figure there was a wire grounding out? I thought the wiring harness on the back of the switch assembly was a plug and when trying to pull it out a wire came loose? I didn't really tug on it I think it was loose in the connector and when the wheel was tilted it either.

Thanks guys!
+2
WHIGHTOWER
Thank you for the post it was the relay in my truck cost me $32.00 all good. I love this site
+1
PETEBP
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Chevy 2005 Silverado 2500 HD. Drivers low beam headlight is not working, changed 2 bulbs, passenger low beam is on. Hi beams work both sides, daytime running lamps work. Any ideas?
Sunday, January 5th, 2020 AT 7:41 PM (Merged)

Sponsored links