Loss of temperature gauge

BRUCE JOHNSTON2
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
While driving on the freeway, I noticed my temperature gauge dropped to zero. I pulled off and checked my fluid, fans, and belt and all were okay. When I turned it back on, I noticed the gauge would rise slightly and drop back to zero. This happened several times.

When I got to my destination, I used my remote to lock my doors and, although the doors lock and unlock, the horn stopped reporting and the lights did not flash.

On my way home, I noticed that the gauge started working properly. After I shut of the car and remotely locked it, the lights and horn began to work during remote lock/unlock.

I believe there might be a bad connection, maybe, but where would I look that would have both the temperature gauge and remote locking system in common? Computer?
Saturday, April 29th, 2017 AT 11:17 AM

KEN

I would try to remove the cluster and unplug the main connector and then re-plug it in to help with any bad connections first. The stepper motor on GM gauges sometimes go out which will mean you will need to replace the motor or get a rebuilt cluster.

Here is the motor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PXAUGC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B004PXAUGC&linkId=d06d317353703d59082360ef2c578c7b

here is a video of a GM cluster getting removed.

https://youtu.be/_HEC44xENxw

I don't think it is a temperature sender becasue the check engine light would be on in most cases.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, May 1st, 2017 AT 7:58 PM
BRUCE JOHNSTON2
Thanks for the help.

I am not one for coincidences when working with components on a car. That is why I asked. When 2 apparently different circuits fail at roughly the same time, and then without warning, begin working at roughly the same time, I begin to look to see if/what they have in common.

I've been driving my car for almost 3 days now without a failure, so diagnosis is rough and the schematics in my Haynes manual are next to useless.

Thanks for the help and maybe if it begins to fail again, I'll try your suggestions!

Keep up with the good work!
Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 10:06 AM
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 AT 11:19 AM