RPM GAUGE GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN TO ZERO

1997 Chevrolet Malibu

Rpulido13@yahoo.com

June, 25, 2012 AT 9:38 PM

I have a 1997 Chevy Malibu 6 cylinders 3.1 engine. The car turns of on me when I make a right turn. Also when I'm driving the RPM gauge goes all the way down to zero then after a few seconds it goes back to normal. I have replaced the evap censor, serpentine belt, the fuel filter, I have done a injector cleaning, trany flush. You name it but the problem is still there.

Can you help?

Jumpy Tach Needle

June, 25, 2012 AT 11:26 PM

Does it start right back up? Is the check engine light on?

DocDTC

June, 27, 2012 AT 10:49 PM

Is the ignition switch column or dash mounted? This has symptoms consistent with an ignition switch issue. Also- when the tachometer drops out, does the engine lose power as well? Help me help you. Lol! Let me know, Doc

Rpulido13@yahoo.com

June, 28, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

No my car does not loose power.

Rpulido13@yahoo.com

June, 28, 2012 AT 7:37 PM

@ ASEMaster6371. Yes my car starts right back up. And no check engine light on.

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:13 AM

Is there play in your steering column

Rpulido13@yahoo.com

June, 29, 2012 AT 10:56 PM

@ Mikederouin88. I don't think so. But today I was driving and I hit a bump and my RPM gage went down to zero. So I'm thinking maybe something with the power steering. Please help!

mikederouin88

June, 30, 2012 AT 4:02 AM

Park in your driveway with car in park and push pull and wobble you steering column every which direction and see if you can force a stall. Then see if you can duplicate it doing the same action. If you have no luck with that POP the hood with the car still running and wiggle the wire harness going to your control module and see if u can force a stall

Rpulido13@yahoo.com

July, 6, 2012 AT 2:49 PM

@mikederouin88. Ok I played with the steering wheel and my car did turn off.? But I was not able to duplicate it. What does that mean?

mikederouin88

July, 7, 2012 AT 11:50 AM

Your steering column has too much slack in when it moves a certain way it is pinching a word and grounding out

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon