TOWNCAR STALL

Lincoln Town Car

bartbird7

March, 24, 2006 AT 12:19 PM

My 1994 Towncar has 150K miles. And has had a problem for a couple of years now that has progressed to me not driving it any longer. It used to stall after it had been running at high speeds for a while, and then came to a stop. There was a low whistling noise that came from under the hood all the while. The whistling noise continued to get louder, and the stalling became more regular. After I cranked it three weeks ago, the whistling sound was noticably 3x or so louder than it was when I parked it, the engine idled rough, and then cut out. I still drove it for another week, but parked it b/c as I slowed to stop, I had to shift it into neutral to keep it running, and if the rpms got too low whille I was making a turn, or whatever, it would cut out while rolling. Now it will crank, but will not idle. The engine will continue to run if I keep a little pressure on the accelerator, but otherwise it will not stay cranked. I replaced the fuel filter 3mos. Ago, and again 3 weeks ago, in addition to replacing the air filter and the spark plugs. Is ther a Idle screw? Idle pump? Or idle motor? And why does it seem like the whistling noise(compression) is related to the problem? It performs well as long as my foot is on the gas. The whistle stops when accelerating.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

peppermrj

March, 24, 2006 AT 4:44 PM

Could have a few problems.
I would start by looking for vacuum leaks. Check all the hoses fo proper attachment, cracks, gummy, etc.
The EGR valve could be sticking open. Pull it off and clean it.
The is a IAC (idle air controll) valve. It is located on the throttle body. You can remove it, clean it, and it's port. Test it while you are at it.

Good luck and let us know. : )

bartbird7

April, 7, 2006 AT 11:01 AM

It was a vacuum hose that had disconnected, probably duirn the ignition that day. I connected the vaccumm hose and it is back to running the way it used to. I hooked the computer to it and the EGR valve code came up. I'm guessing b/c, like you said, it is sticking open. I will try to replace or clean and see if the random stalling stops. I went to Pepe Boys and they said the charge would be $575 to change the EGR valve, and clean out the carbon deposits in the DFS system, and so on. I think I can do it for a little less myself. Is it difficult to replace the EGR valve? Do you think I could get away with just cleaning it real good? 8)

peppermrj

April, 7, 2006 AT 6:14 PM

Yup. I would try that first. The only cost will be a new gasket. Does it have a DPSE sensor? They can cause a EGR valve fault code also.

Good luck and let us know. : )