2000 LINCOLN TOWN CAR TORQUE CONVERTER SHUDDER

• Tombetty83179
  • 2000 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

2000 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

My car has developed a torque converter shudder, according to a transmission shop I took it to. They told me that the best fix for this is a complete transmission and torque converter overhaul. Is this the only way? Also, I have been continuing to drive the car, turning off the overdrive when I am traveling at low speeds in stop and go driving, then turning it back on when I accelerate to highway speeds. If I ultimately have to have the transmission overhauled, will my continuing to drive it in this manner result in any further damage and expense?

Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 9:43 PM

• Lenmar2c

Does it happen only at low speeds in OD or does it happen also at shift points. Low speeds indicates a bad torque converter. How ever before spending a large sum for a trans and torque converter try this. Drain the torque converter. On the bottom of the bell housing is a round black plug. Pop it out. Rotate the crankshaft (Which will rotate the torque converter) with a wrench until you can see a little plug on the bottom of the converter. Remove and drain the fluid from the converter. Replace both plugs and add necessary trans fluid. This fixed my problem on both my town and my limo's Good Luck.

+1
Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 12:42 PM
  • Markcarter

I don't know if you fixed this problem yet, but I had the same problem with shudder. I added a bottle of Dr. Tranny's shudder fix and the problem went away. I've now driven 45,000 miles with no more shudder issues.

+1
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 AT 3:12 PM