DOOR TRIM PANEL

1991 Lincoln Town Car

chrishorton

July, 4, 2009 AT 4:32 PM

1991 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

How do you remove the door trim panel and reinstall the window motor and bracket?

buddycraigg

July, 4, 2009 AT 6:40 PM

I'll try to help with the panel, but you'll have to figure out the window motor when you get there.

Most of the time the window motors themselves don't go bad, if you can hear the motor run, but the glass doesn't move, you just need to replace the 3 plastic slugs in the gear housing.

Anyway, back to the panel.

Most inner door panels are attached the same, no matter what kind of car you have.

Generally the front, bottom and rear edge of the panel is held to the metal part of the door with plastic clips. Expect to break about 25% of these when you remove it.

The center part of the panel normally has a few screws that secure it. Sometimes they will have a small cover over them, often the size of a dime. Just for cosmetic reasons.

There will almost always be 1 or 2 screws attaching the pull handle, the place you grab onto to pull the door closed.
Most of the time, there will be a screw somewhere close to lever you use to open the door.
If your armrest is not molded into the door panel, there will be screws that attach it. Often at a 45degree angle coming from the bottom.
And finally, on rare occasion, there will be some screws near the speaker in the door, if you have one.
If you have manual windows, you'll have to remove the crank handle.

Armed with this information. This is how I remove a door panel that I am not familiar with.

First I remove all of the screws that I can see, and look for anything that may be a cap that is covering a screw.

Second I start at the bottom of the panel and try to pull it away from the door. As the plastic clips start to release, I work my way up along the front and rear edge of the door. Often during this step, I notice the center part of the panel is still attached by a hidden screw.

Finally, when the panel is free all the way around, grab the panel along the front and rear edges and pull straight up to get it to release from along where it touches the glass.

I hope this helps.

chrishorton

July, 4, 2009 AT 7:53 PM

Thanks for your help, and time.

Door Trim Fallen Off? Fix it Quickly Here
Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD
Windshield Washer Reservoir Replacement
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Prius
Fix a Door That Will Not Close With Ease
Wiper Blade Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini