AIR BAG SENSORS

1995 Lexus SC 400

mont.auto

November, 16, 2009 AT 9:25 PM

1995 Lexus SC 400 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

I am repairing a 1995 Lexus SC400 which had a minor driver's side front end collision. Both air bags deployed. After removing the front fender, I removed the driver's side air bag sensor. The sensor appears intact save the plastic case is slightly deformed where it was impacted by a bolt end and the filler material has a surface crack. Also, if you shake it, something is loose inside. I understand it is appropriate to replace sensors after air bag deployment but was curious to learn how one trouble shoots these sensors. Also, when installing a replacement unit, how important is the sensor's orientation to motion, ground height, etc? Lastly, if a sensor is faulty, would new air bags deploy (eventhough no collision) because of the faulty sensor or just display an " Air Bag" message on the instrument cluster? Have a good day.

merlin2021

November, 18, 2009 AT 2:06 PM

My pal at the body shop tells me if any airbag deploys, ALL Airbag(SRS) sensors and modules need to be replaced, you seem to have one with vsible damage and I would not reuse it, airbags cost way too much to try and cheap it!