TILT STEERING WHEEL PROBLEM

Lexus

garymazeffa

November, 21, 2007 AT 9:30 AM

Hi.

1998 Lexus GS300 with 50,000 miles.

Whenever it is cold out ( under 50 degrees) the tilt steering wheel will have difficulty returning to it's set or drive position. If it is cold enough, it will not come down at all.

According to the owners manual, I understand there is a way to keep the steering wheel in the drive position all of the time. In other words, disengage the tilting mechanism. The manual does not provide instruction on this feature. Can you? I would rather not bring it in to the dearlership for a simple fix and get charged a bunch of money.

Thanks,

Gary Mazeffa

Jack42

November, 23, 2007 AT 8:08 AM

Sorry Gary my software only tells how to diagnose a problem with it, not how to work it. SOunds like th eservo or possibly the grease used to lube it isnt happy with the cold. If you are adventerous, you caan try gaining access to the servo and try lubing it with something that isnt temp sensitive

Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe