WHITE SMOKE AT START UP

1990 Lexus LS 400

bhoefe

July, 7, 2008 AT 6:06 PM

Steering problem
1990 Lexus LS 400 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

When I start my car after it has been setting for a while it produces a large white cloud of smoke and it smokes until it gets warm (5 minutes). I am not losing ang oil or fuel but I am losing steering fluid. I changed out the high presure line and I think the pump is bad also but could there be any way this fluid is getting into the exhaust manifold. What could be causing the white smoke?

blackop555

July, 7, 2008 AT 7:34 PM

No low coolant level? Does it come out of the exhaust pipe or just from the engine?

bhoefe

July, 7, 2008 AT 7:47 PM

Coolent level is good. The only fluid I am losing is steering. I do not have anything dripping from under the car. I noticed another blog where someone said they were losing steering fluid through the vacume system into the fuel injectors. Is that possible?

blackop555

July, 8, 2008 AT 8:33 PM

Fluid shouldnt be getting with the injectors, only if it is coming in from the manifold but there shouldnt be enough to turn exhaust white, your transmission fluid staying high? Check at same speed and distance traveled.

bhoefe

July, 8, 2008 AT 8:50 PM

No transmission fluid loss but just for the h. Of it I pulled the 2 vacume lines from the bottom of the steering pump that go to the intake manifold and plugged them. The car runs rough and now I get a little blue smoke but white smoke has stopped as well as the fluid leak. Is there some type of check valve in the pump?

bhoefe

July, 14, 2008 AT 7:09 PM

This turned out to be the air flow sensor attached to the bottom of the steering pump and has two hoses that connect to the intake manafold. When they go bad, they allow steering fluid to leak into the sensor (control valve) and then get sucked into the intake. Cost is between $74.00 and $144.00.

blackop555

July, 14, 2008 AT 9:44 PM

Glad to hear you found out the problem.

And thank you for posting your solution! You probably helped someone today!

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator