KILLING DISTRIBUTORS

• somethinboutatruck
  • 1990 Ford F-250

1990 Ford F250, 351w. The battery was jump started wrong a few times and now I have been having troubles with something killing distributors. I have gone through 5 now in the past couple months. The truck will drive and then die and come back and drive for a little again then loose power again and come back and sometimes it wont come back around. And if I cant getting back started that's when the distributor is shot. Seems like I have an electrical problem somewhere? Any suggestions on what to look for or replace?

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 10:09 AM

• JDL

Are you using quality parts? If no spark with engine cranking, check for primary voltage at the coil, key on. Maybe an issue with tfi module and not the distributor?

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 10:38 AM
  • somethinboutatruck

My mechanic has got distributors from just about every shop in town now and at first was thought to just be bad parts but after 5 of them something is wrong. I myself know little to nothing about vehicles.

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 10:48 AM
  • JDL

I see, if you already have a mechanic looking at it, I'm not sure how to help? I can't see much from here.

What part of distributor is having a problem? Is the wiring or connectors getting hot, can you see any signs of anything getting hot?

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 1:08 PM
  • somethinboutatruck

1st Mechanic notes "Troubleshoot no spark, Powers and grounds to computer, coil. Ect all good, Remove and replace distributor."

2nd Mechanics notes " Ignition Module, Pickup coil, Cap"
after it kept dying and not being able to restart kept taking it back to 2nd mechanic and he kept replacing distributors but couldn't figure out what was causing them to die all the time so Im trying to trouble shoot myself with no knowledge of vehicles.

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 1:51 PM
  • JDL

Use a testlite, check for primary voltage at the coil.

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 4:06 PM
  • JDL

Unless you can do a little testing, I'm not sure how to help?

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 AT 4:08 PM