SHAKE & BAKE, SHAKES AT LOW SPEED

Jeep Wrangler

mcoh1030

March, 11, 2007 AT 1:38 PM

Hi,

I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, with 76,000 miles. It has a 4.0 liter 6 cyl. Engine with a 5 speed tranny.

About a month ago, my jeep started to shake at very low speed and when coming to a stop. It seems to do this in neutral and in gear. However, the shaking is slightly more pronounced when the brakes are being applied.

I recently brought it in to have the brakes checked. The front disc brakes looked good. But the pads were low so I had the rotors cut and replaced the pads. The back drums looked fine.

I drove off and no less than a mile down the road, the problem happened again. It's obviously not the brakes. Could you give me your opinion on what it might be & /or what to look at specifically.

The shaking seems to be toward the front of the car as the dash board seems to vibrate most.

Thanks,

Mike

bootdog

March, 11, 2007 AT 3:18 PM

I know that most jeeps have composite rotors. If it still shakes while braking, then have the rotors replaced. Composite rotors require special adapters to turn, and still they can be a pain to get right. Try new rotors, that should help.

mcoh1030

March, 11, 2007 AT 4:20 PM

It also happens while the jeep slowly rolls to a stop and I just noticed that it also happens, although, very slightly while first starting out in 1st gear at 2-3 mph.

bootdog

March, 12, 2007 AT 5:18 AM

You can also take it a tire shop and have them look at the tires to see if any are out of round, separated, or a bent wheel.

mcoh1030

March, 12, 2007 AT 2:48 PM

Could it be something with the Clutch? I notice that the jeep tends to keep driving in third gear. Even when at very low speed. As long as I'm in thrid, the Jeep keeps going.

Could it be something with the clutch? Maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Maybe there's something wrong with it? Could something with the clutch casue a small vibration?

bootdog

March, 13, 2007 AT 1:41 PM

I'd still have the tires looked at and the rotors replaced first. However going real slow in a higher gear will make it feel like the engine's about to stall which will give it a vibration, but not in neutral.

japkar

November, 4, 2007 AT 1:59 AM

I don't think it's the rotors or brakes. It has to be something else. This happens to my car even after I replaced the rotors and brand new tires.

FORDFAN

November, 11, 2007 AT 4:34 PM

So it shakes while at a stop? If it doesnt shake while at a stop, then you might have a bad tire. If you have a Discount Tire Company store near you I would go there and have them throw the tire on the balancer and can tell if your rim is bent, tire out of round, or a seperation in the tire. I worked for discount tires and it is a great company and very liable for these things and will pull you out in the shop and show you instead of other shops whom just tell you they are bad.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Open Hood Video
Seat Switch Replacement GMC Yukon
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement