SPEEDO CABLE/SPEED SENSOR CONVERSION

Jeep Wrangler

mjschertz

May, 4, 2006 AT 9:22 AM

I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler with a 1990 transfer case. The case has a speedo cable hook-up and the instrument panel is electronic. Is the a way to convert my transfer case to work with the speed sensor hook-up?

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 9:28 AM

Most of the cases are the same hole for the speedometer. You will have to take your old VSS, housing and assembly and mount it in your in 90 case. It will fit is it is the same maker.

mjschertz

May, 4, 2006 AT 4:12 PM

I bought it this way so I do not have the old VSS housing. Can I get a new one or maybe et one from the junkyard or something? What is the best way to go? Is it a hard job to change it?

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 5:07 PM

You need the entire thing from a junk yard including the internal parts that make the sensor work. You can probably get it from a tranny core at a salvage yard.

mjschertz

May, 4, 2006 AT 6:00 PM

Sounds like a big job. Is it something I could do myself? Or would it be easier to get a whole new transfer case? And if so, how can I get the spline count without taking the thing apart?

losone

May, 5, 2006 AT 5:23 PM

Take it to a good local tranny shop (not a franchise) and explain the problem. If they have a core laying around they can fix it. You have the better of the two transfer cases it is much stronger. Good luck