98 - WHITE SMOKE: COOLANT LEVEL OK

1998 Jeep Wrangler

erw1rover

I recently bought a 98 Jeep Wrangler Auto 4L v6 with 124k miles. I've scoured your replies to white smoke problems.

After my first 'long' trip (30 miles) I noticed white ash on the black body paint in and around the spaces b/t the hood and the engine area. All fluid levels were fine and no guages read out of the norm.

I drove a few weeks later (round trip 240 miles), same scenario. Fluids ok still. No real obvious issues but the white ash was there; smells burnt.

Last week was the push I guess. I drove 25 miles max. After parking noticed white smoke billowing from underneath the hood.

Most of your replies describe leaking coolant; and white smoke coming from tail pipe. My coolant levels are fine in the radiator and in the spare tank to its side and the smoke comes from under the hood.

I've read cracked head gasket -- but would I lose fluid levels if that were the case. Also have read elsewhere: possible water pump; thermostat; or plugged up radiator. If it is any of these, am I crazy to drive it another 35 miles to have it looked at? My mechanic is that far away.

The warranty is up in a few weeks. I'd prefer to get it to them, look for other concerns and address all at once.

What do you think? I have the Haynes manual but I'm a chic whose never been under the hood. They describe how to check the water pump but at this point, I wouldn't trust what I'm looking at from their pics.

Worth a mention. The oil level was slightly low during this same fluid check time, so I removed the oil cap atop the engine. When I poured oil in, no lie, it sounded like I was pouring it on the floor of the garage. Is that normal? Couldn't be the cause here? I've never added oil to a car before.

Also noted (I bought a real gem here didn't I?) The transmission line under body has a small leak in it. I've got the part in my back-seat, just waiting for a freind to install it. That wouldn't contribute? Figured I'd mention.

Thanks for your help.

jeftfields

If your tranni leak is towards the front of the vehicle and by the exsaust pipe your smoke could be comeing from the fluid on the exsaust pipe, I would make sure tranni is full and carefully take it back to where the warranty is covered and have it checked out.

erw1rover

The smoke was thick and came from under the hood though.

All fluids are fine. The transmission leak is small.

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla