2000 Jeep Wrangler oil pressure

KKEITH
  • 2000 JEEP WRANGLER
I have a 2000 jeep wrangler with 130,000 miles. I am having oil pressure problems. When driving the oil pressure is fine but at a stop it drops to 0. I have had the oil pump replaced twice thinking it was a bad oil pump. The gauge, senser, and oil and filer have all been changed. I can't seem to find anyone that can figure out what the problem seems to be. I have has the cam bearings and rods checked the mechanic said the engine looks brand new on the inside. Please help
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 9:07 PM

JAMES W.
This is a good one. You've already changed everything I would have recommended. How log has this been going on? (Sounds like a song), but I'm serious. Has the engine ever been grossly overheated? Have you screwed a regular pressure gauge in place of the sending unit and checked pressure? Please advise.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 9:59 PM
KKEITH
Yes they did hook up a gauge in place of that. It has not been extremly overheated I did have a problem with it getting hot over the summer and finally got that problem fixed with a new thermostat (or two).
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 6:42 AM
JAMES W.
OK, you've already checked everything I would suggest. Instincts tell me you have a crack in an oil passage somewhere, probably in the valve lifter galley somewhere. Finding it will tough and messy. If I'm correct, basically, the block is shot. I can't think of anything else it could be. The only other option, which I'm sure you've already done, is go to a "high volume" oil pump, but even that may only help a little.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 12:18 PM
KKEITH
Wow it is hard to believe that is the outcome. If by chance it did get grossly overheated could that be a different cause for the problem. I am not loosing oil and there is no water in my oil.I am just hoping that it is something else other than that. The oil pressure does not drop until the engine is warmed up I am assuming because the oil get warm and thins out.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 3:55 PM
JAMES W.
Yes, the oil will thin out as it warms, BUT, a crack may open up a little also. Also, if there is a crack in the lifter area, you won't lose any oil, it will just drop back into the pan. And, there's no water jacket there so you won't have a "water in oil" problem. PLEASE, keep in mind, I'm not saying this is definatly your problem. It's just a viable option. With all you've done so far, I can't think of anything else. You're surely welcome to get another opinion. I have to admit, I've only seen this once before and that was in a Buick 231 V6 that was overheated so bad, it melted the valve seals.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 4:20 PM