1999 Jeep Wrangler My Jeep has died on me! No life what s

JEEPMAN77
  • 1999 JEEP WRANGLER
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4cyl 4wd. 106000 miles. Drove to the local gas station for a 6'er shut off my Jeep bought my goods got back in and it was dead just like that. Ran just fine before with the exception of it acting similar to starving for fuel at random times, speeds, & gears. The hole jeep would shake, extrem lose of power unless I left off the gas and only applied very little throttle.

So far I have confirmed that all the fuses, relays, & battery are fine through testing them and replacing battery. Still all I have is power to gauges, radio, lights etc. Just nothing when I turn the key over. No starter turning over just nothing. DEAD!
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 3:57 PM

Check fuse no.2 40amp if okay disconnect clutch switch -jumper the clutch switch on top of the brake pedal and see what happens. See circuitry below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_s1_16.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_s2_15.jpg

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 4:18 PM
FLUX
Hi there,
While describing your jeep you also described mine. I was wondering if you figured out the problem. I've had a couple of things changed: fuel filter, spark plugs, compression was checked and its ok, and timing. I'm curious to know if you have any answers. I'm in the process of moving and need to sell my car asap. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to take it to a dealer and have the repairs made. And of course no one will buy a car that is not in working condition. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And anyone too for that matter.
Thanks.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 3:34 PM
JEEPMAN77
I tried a few things also minor things in my skills level. Checked fuses, relay's and bought a new battery since mine was to weak to pass a battery test. None of this helped so I got under it and played with the starter cleaning connections etc. Nothing. I brought it to a shop and they had it fixed in 4 hours. They found a few bad wires some of which are in the diagram I do believe.

Bottom line it was bad wiring from the starter and the clutch safety switch both. This was a bit much for me to deal with so I paid the $180.00 and had it fixed by a pro.

I hope this helps you out.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 8:13 PM
AIRSOFTSOLDRECN9
The starter solenoid has probably failed and needs to be replaced. You can confirm this by taking it to your local parts store to have it checked out. Sometimes they just go out for no apparent reason, but usually the starter will make a well defined grinding noise before this happens. It is almost always easier to replace the entire starter than replacing just the solenoid.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 8:30 PM
FLUX
Hi there Mr. JeepMan77,
Thanks so much for your quick response, it did help out. I was referred to a shop that specializes in electrical/diagnostic, I figured it would be the best thing to do, otherwise I will just be going in circles.
Thanks for your help!
Violeta :)
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 8:44 PM