STALLING

1989 Jeep Wrangler

KPB

July, 5, 2008 AT 8:10 PM

1989 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 66k miles

Jeep is driven once in a while, last year I had a problem with the jeep back fireing and them losing power, statring to stall out, more back fireing and then the car would quit and would nmot restart for an hour or so. This jeeps tends to run cool, it did not appear to be over heated. Shop had me replace catalytic converter, problem persisted, they changed a computer part, winter came and I don't often drive it in the winter so I had no problem. Last fall it happened several more times, different shop had it for several weeks letting it run or driving it around but could not replacate the problem. They rerouted some vaccum lines and checked out the fuel filter and some other stuff but it did not stall while they had it. Now its summer again and it did the back fireing thing againg the other day. Car stalled, I left it for an hour and came back and it started up and I drove it 1 or 2 miles home. Any suggestions?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

obxautomedic

July, 5, 2008 AT 10:10 PM

When was your last tuneup? Sounds like a timing problem or posibly a cracked cap.

KPB

July, 5, 2008 AT 10:22 PM

Last tune up was about 4 years/10000 miles ago. I'm not sure if they checked the rotor cap, seems like they would. Prior to the back fireing and stalling the jeep seems to run strong and smooth, it will restart after 40-50 minuets. It would be nice if it was just a cap.

airsoftsoldrecn9

July, 5, 2008 AT 10:37 PM

Check the distributor Cap for excessive spark tracing. Use a timing light to check for proper spark advance. Check your EGR. While the engine is running spray some carburetor cleaner around the intake manifold. If the engine revs then you have a small vacuum leak. You can confirm this with a vac guage on the manifold. Ask the mechanic about your crankshaft sensor.

KPB

July, 6, 2008 AT 12:40 AM

Thank you airsoftsoldrecn9 and obxautomedic, I will follow up aon your suggestions, I appreciate the help!