2001 JEEP STEERING WHEEL ONLY TURNS ONE WAY

• rollingstone
  • 2001 Jeep

Steering problem
2001 Other Jeep Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

My '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee turns left normally, but when I try to turn right the steering wheel will only make 1/2-3/4 of a revolution. This allows me to make most right turns but not park perpendicularly. Occasionally the steering wheel will make a popping noise and I can feel somethin jump in the wheel and it then will turn normally (full range of motion) for a turn or 2. I have not attempted to muscle the wheel into turning farther. I have checked the power steering fluid and the level is normal. What is going wrong? Can I do anything rather simple to help it? How much should I expect to pay for this?

Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 1:55 PM

• mickey-d

There is a joint in the steering column, under the hood that is like a u-joint or slip yoke. It will most likely have to go to a shop for repairs. If you go to a parts store, you can get a price on the part/parts you will need. On older vehicles, this part was called a rag joint. If you are mechanically inclined, get a manual and try it yourself. Good luck.
Mickey-d

Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 11:25 PM