1995 Other Jeep Models Rear main seal

• 1 POST
  • 1995 JEEP

1995 Other Jeep Models 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 197000 miles

my rear main seal is leaking and I was wondering what kind of job it is to fix this and what is entailed as far as time to fix it, cost of parts, etc?

Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 11:00 AM

Either the tranny is dropped out, or the engine, and then it's not too tough. REAR CRANKSHAFT OIL SEAL Removal 1. Remove transmission and flywheel or torque converter plate. Remove oil pan. See OIL PAN. 2. Remove rear main bearing cap, and push upper seal from groove. Ensure crankshaft is not damaged. Remove lower half of seal from bearing cap. Installation 1. Clean surface of crankshaft. Apply thin coat of oil to crankshaft and seal lip. Position upper seal into groove in cylinder block so lip of seal faces front of engine. Place lower half into bearing cap. 2. Coat both ends of lower seal end tabs with sealant. DO NOT apply sealant to lip of seal. Coat outer curved surface of lower seal with soap and lip of seal with engine oil. Position lower seal into bearing cap recess and seat firmly. Coat both chamfered edges of rear main bearing cap with sealant. DO NOT apply sealant to mating surfaces of bearing cap or cylinder block. 3. Install rear main cap in original position. Tighten bolts in 3 stages to specification. See CRANKSHAFT & MAIN BEARINGS under CYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY under OVERHAUL. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Seal is only a few dollars, but the labor is the killer. Probably 6 hours or so.

Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 1:52 PM