Battery Drain

CHERYLGILLENWATERS
  • JEEP LIBERTY
Any ideas on common issues with battery drain on 2004 Jeep Liberty? Things to check and how? After 2 day weekend not using vehicle, it is sluggish to crank on Monday, some clicking. Then cranks okay at lunch, but after going out to lunch, then trying to return to work, battery completely dead and have to be jumped off. Then cranked okay at end of day. The next day (afternoon), some clicking and almost didn't crank. Battery is less than 11 months old.
Tuesday, October 9th, 2007 AT 4:18 PM

MERLIN2021
I think you are saying it start but with difficult in the morning? Harder as day wears on? If so have the starter tested!
-2
Tuesday, October 9th, 2007 AT 5:30 PM
CHERYLGILLENWATERS
Battery would end up completely dead. Either battery bad, not holding charge or something is draining it while not in use. Local tire shop said battery was bad and replaced it. Not sure if that actually resolved the problem by only treating the symptom.
-2
Sunday, October 14th, 2007 AT 11:49 AM
MERLIN2021
If you have a voltmeter I can tell you how to check for a parasitic drain.
+5
Monday, October 15th, 2007 AT 2:17 AM
CHERYLGILLENWATERS
I believe my husband has one.
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 10:53 AM
MERLIN2021
Remive the negative battery cable, then put the red lead on the cable end, and the black on the battery post, if it reads more than 1 volt, You have a drain problem, usually it will be close to battery voltage 12v on a charged battery if there is a drain. Now remove fuses 1 at a time and close the door after each is pulled, when you find the right cicuit the voltage on the meter will drop to the 1v range, then you can trace the wires for that cicuit!
+1
Wednesday, October 17th, 2007 AT 2:03 PM
CARSGUITARSGARAGES
If you husband has a volt meter. Go across both terminals and read the battery voltage. It should be 12 to 13 volts on the DC scale with engine off. Start the car noting battery voltage during cranking. It should be more than 9.6 volts. It should be 13 to14 volts with engine running. I would also make sure the connections at the battery are clean and tight.
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 5:49 PM
WPHERMAN
I did this with the following results.
Brand new battery
Connected as you instructed = 12.66v
Pulled fuses one at a time closing the door each time
Multi-meter remained at 12.66v except for #3
#3 dropped the multi-meter from 12.66v to 12.54v
#3 is the cigar lighter.
Nothing is plugged into it, and it has a rubber plug in it.
Would this be the gremlin causing the drain?
Thank you
Bill
+3
Monday, September 15th, 2014 AT 10:06 AM