COLD MORNING FIRST START STALL

2001 Jeep Laredo

dsteeple

December, 3, 2009 AT 10:48 AM

2001 Jeep Laredo V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100200 miles

It is winter in Denver and my Jeep is having trouble. Recently had it winterized and the oil filter changed. I do have a radiator leak I put fix a leak in and it has slowed it down until I can afford to get it replaced.

For the last couple of days in the early morning when I first start it up it stalls and then after a few minutes it starts up. It does the same thing in the late evening. I read that someone had a similar problem with the cold start and the problem may be the idole air control motor. Not sure if this is what I should be checking or not, please help?

Also my transmission hesitates when it reaches 50 its fine at low speads and 60+ does this indicate I will need a new transmission soon or could it be the governor pressure sensor?

Thank you for your help and happy holidays.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Beef99

December, 3, 2009 AT 2:10 PM

More than likely, the salling problem will be your idle air control valve located on your throttle body. It is about a $55 part and easy to change but make sure that you leave the valve in the same position because if you adjust it by screwing it in or out, you will raise or lower your idle. Your hesitation could be a few things, it could be you TPS(throttle position sensor) or the governor pressure regulator. To save yourself some time and money take your vehicle to a good dealer to be analyzed since they have more tools and knowledge than your typical shops. The governor pressure regulator is expensive to fix ($200-$450) but the throttle position sensor will only run you around $50 if you fix it yourself. Also, make sure that your engine has had a recent and up to date tune-up on it as this can cause problems too.