2 THINGS - INSULATION MAT AND STARTER MOTOR /

1984 Jeep J10

pogsauce

January, 31, 2009 AT 3:25 AM

1984 Jeep J10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

Thanks for your help,

The thick insulation mat under the hood of my ute came down the other day. Do I need to stick it back on to stop warping of the hood or anything else (like overheating)? And what should I use to stick it on, obviously I can't use a flamable glue.

The other thing is that I may have to replace the starter motor sometime soon. Is this very difficult? If I'm careful and mark the wires etc, I should be ok?

What is the solenoid? I keep getting told I have an " intermittent solenoid problem". Basically the old beast doesn't always want to start (particularly when there is a chance the engine is damp from humidity or really cold in the mornings). If I replace the starter motor, am I still going to have a problem with this solenoid, or will I heve to replace something else too (probably sopmething more costly!)

I think I'm fairly handy under the hood of this thing and am keen to have a go myself if I can, but only if you think it's worthwile.

Cheers,
Adan

merlin2021

January, 31, 2009 AT 7:07 AM

Most parts stores can test the stater/solinoid, take it out and get it checked, usually just two bolts hold it in, disconnect the negative battery cable before doing the job, as for the insulation, that protects the paint job! Most parts stores sell a spray glue to re attach it.

Open Hood Video
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911