BAD IDLE AND RUNNING RICH

Jeep CJ7

rreuter

September, 7, 2007 AT 9:55 AM

I have a 1983 Jeep CJ7 that has 146,000 miles. It has the 4.2 engine. The problem is that my engine would not idle along with no power at higher RPM's. I replaced the carburetor and had a mechanic check it out. The inspection tested that the fuel delivery was normal along with the volume. To-date the engine runs great at low speeds and then loads up at high speeds. I will shut off the engine and let it sit for 10-15 min. Re-start is tough and when it does fire up black smoke comes out the tail pipe. I called and just received another carter carb. Is there something else going on here? How can I resolve this problem. Oh I forgot to mention that I have no power to my auto choke wire. Not sure if it matters or where I should follow the wire for connection.

Thanks for your help.

Randy

merlin2021

September, 7, 2007 AT 12:45 PM

Un fortunatly I can't look up your 83 for the choke wire, But it does matter if the choke needs it to open while the engine warms up. Black smoke as you may or may not know is because it's running rich, ie. The choke may be partially closed with a warm engine. If you can't figure out the wire, get a manual choke cable and install it!

September, 7, 2007 AT 3:35 PM

Some carb with electric choke takes its power from the alternator stator winding

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars