1984 Jeep CJ7 steering

KOALABEAR
  • 1984 JEEP CJ7
When I shift gears, the Jeep "torque" steers. When I let go of the gas, the Jeep steers left, and when I get back on the gas, the jeep pulls the other way. The harder the shift, the harder the reaction.
Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 7:39 PM

Never experienced that situation. You make it sound like violent "airplane rudder engagements" maybe not as bad as it sounds. I would take it to a reputable alignment shop. Possible CAMBER and CASTER problems. Or brake/ brake hose hanging up----dragging one side, much like turning a tractor using L or R brakes

Love, Turddog
Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 4:24 PM
KOALABEAR
The steering input is worse the more torque is applied. If you shift at low RPMs, the change is a lot less. If you shift at higher RPM's the changes are worse. This problem was there before I installed a shackle reversing kit. I wondered about frame issues, but I did not see any cracks. Could the power steering do something like this?
Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 7:15 PM
Really don't think power to rear axle is swapping from right axle to left (like those electric race cars from the late '70s that could pass each other)

Without putting it on a machine, you might put it on level ground and look at the welded spring mounts, on the axle, see if the front side is higher than the rear side (caster) This may not show you much difference, but you may see rear is noticably higher may be your problem. Machine at alignment shop is best bet, see my profile. Love, Turddog

PS See 1981 CJ5 SWAYING. In CJ5 section of forum
Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 10:21 PM