SERPINTINE BELT ROUTING

Jeep Cherokee

WV_Proud

August, 28, 2007 AT 4:22 PM

We have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a V6 engine. It came factory with a/c but the a/c pump is going bad. We cannot afford to replace the pump right now and instead have bought a serpintine belt in the hopes of routing it without the a/c included. While the parts store was able to sell us a belt they could not provide us with a diagram and now my hubby can't figure out the routing that is correct. PLEASE advise : )

Thanks!
Marilyn

A/c 02 L 300

Ac Will Not Turn On!!!

Service Writer

August, 28, 2007 AT 4:55 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_belt_1.jpg

grichards

August, 29, 2007 AT 1:20 AM

A follow-up thought on the post from " service writer" and the diagram for the belt routing. I have the same diagram in one of my manuals, and the large circle you see with the #7 in it is actually the AC Compressor. OK - Trying to re-route a serpantine belt without removing the compressor is a real " figgure it out" nightmare. Did you remove the AC compressor?

A serpentine belt has 2 sides - a smooth side, and a grooved side. Certain pulleys require the smooth side to operate, and others the grooved side to function. It is not normal to use a belt that can bypass all the smooth/grooved sides of the belt. Bypassing ypur AC if it doesn't work is a good thought (did it on my '73 Nova SS), but the serpentine belt on your vehicle as my diagrams shows me is a " Groove on one side, Smooth on the other. AW, HECK. What do I know? Sounds like more info is needed! Please reply.

Service Writer

August, 29, 2007 AT 4:26 AM

Hey Gritch,

The drawing ain't quite right is it?
Two #7s???

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_confused5_3.jpg

I Gotta go back to the cyber drawing board on that.

Service Writer

August, 29, 2007 AT 4:36 AM

Upon futher reivew: W/ AC, #6 is an idler pulley; fan is mounted on water pump. W/out AC, both #7s are missing and belt routes directly from alternator to PS pump. #6 pulley is < 1" from, and directly to the right of, alternator pulley. This information is based on the routing label and visible engine configuration observed under the hood of this specific vehicle.

IF the A/C compressor is seized or the clutch is, You may want to consider on out of a junk yard. Try un; ugging the connector to the compressor and see if she spins.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue