OIL PRESSURE READING PROBLEM

Jeep Cherokee

daronson

November, 1, 2007 AT 12:05 PM

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Automatic, 125,000 miles.

Yesterday I got my oil changed and I noticed on the way into work today that the oil pressure needle is horizontal all the way off the scale. Prior to the oil change the needle move move between 0 and 80. I'm assuming that something got unpluged or the sensor died. I checked the oil and it looks fine.

merlin2021

November, 1, 2007 AT 12:31 PM

Probably the sending unit should be replaced.

daronson

November, 1, 2007 AT 12:51 PM

How hard is that to replace? Do they typically just go bad?

cjivan

November, 1, 2007 AT 2:01 PM

How hard is that to replace? Do they typically just go bad?[/Quote: 370644b94b]

Not sure how hard it is to replace, but I've heard that they do in fact go bad. I have the same problem on my '01 XJ. Sometimes it looks more like a tachometer than an oil pressure gauge. It'll move all the way up to 80, back down to 20, and everywhere in between. Other times it's fine. I've heard that it's a common problem with Cherokees.

merlin2021

November, 1, 2007 AT 2:47 PM

Usually if it's a small cannister type just an open end wrench and unplug the connector, if it's electronic, then you'll need a socket instead. Yes they do go bad, nothin lasts forever!

lostinmars

November, 4, 2007 AT 2:07 AM

Yes they do go bad, BUT on this engine it is located right beside the oil filter and it is very easy to break it or the connector if using a wrench to remove the filter.

jpete01

November, 5, 2007 AT 4:29 PM

Don't mean to hijack this post, but I have a similar problem. The pressure reads close to 80 and after a while of driving it will go slightly below halfway. Any ideas? Its been atleast a year since Ive changed the sending unit.

Thanks.

Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015