A/C Problem in my 2001 Jeep Cherokee

RSHEVLINJR
  • 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
Model:Jeep
Year:2001
Mileage:89,000
Engine Size: In Line 6

For about 2 years I've had a A/C problem. I have been told it is in need of a evaporator but rather than going and getting one I want to make sure this is the problem.

Here is what is happening. The compressor kicks on and off like it should but the air that comes out isn't nice a cold it cool but not cold. The car almost seems to get cooler when I am driving over 30 it doesn't make sence.
Please help me out and feel free to ask me anything as I really want to get this fixed.
Thank you
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 4:40 PM

RSHEVLINJR
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 4:41 PM
IMPALA94
I am not expert by any means, but the last time I saw that happen, all that was wrong was the system was low on freon. It is causing the head pressure in the system to get to high and it kicks off to prevent damage to the compressor. You might just try, if it is the new style refrigerant, to go buy one of the recharge kits and put some freon in it and see if that helps. It will tell you one thing, if there is any holes in the system as well, cause it will stop making cold air as the new refrigerant leaks off. Not the most ozone friendly option either if there is a leak.

The other thing you could do is take it to at least 2 other mechanics and see if you get the same response. I have found that auto mechanics love AC because most people dont wanna live without so they will pay for almost anything they are told to get it to work.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2007 AT 11:32 AM
JEEPSTER01
I had the same problem and it was because it was low so I just topped it off and it's fine now.
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 8:08 AM
MERLIN2021
A 2001 should not have leaks, but if you have a manifold gauge ste hook it up. Readings should be
65Degrees=25-35 psi low side 135-155 psi high side.
If your compressor stays running, clutch engaged, the freon charge is OK if not and it cycles frequently, it's low. If the charge is good a reason for poor performance until 30 mph is the condenser is clogged. The condenser is in front of your radiator and dissipates heat from the A/C system!
Saturday, April 28th, 2007 AT 11:05 PM