97 WITH TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

1997 Jeep Cherokee

brian keener

April, 4, 2006 AT 9:19 PM

I have a 97 jeep grand cherokee ltd. With 242000 miles that won't shift out of first gear. Sometimes it will shift into a higher gear when put it in neutral and back into drive. It has a 44re automatic transmission. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

vandragon

April, 5, 2006 AT 4:53 AM

Hard to say! At that many miles it could be anything. Have you changed the fluid and filter lately? Could be a sensor, the computer. I say your darn lucky to have got that many miles out of it. My 99 van with only 36,876 miles on it is flying apart at the seams. I worked at chrysler in the 70, s and would not have bought one then. I thought they would be better by now.&Quot; WRONG"! I wish I had kept my 87 honda civic with 312,000 miles on it. I paid $27,000 for my van and the kelly blue book price is only $ 6,000 now! My next car will have pedles and a lawnmower engine with a cardboard box body. Good luck. Vandragon

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda