2001 Jeep Cherokee Check engine light on smell of raw gas a

DEPUTYSAJ
  • 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
Lately I have had the smell of raw gas when I start my Jeep and now the check engine light is on. The smell goes away shortly after the vehicle is started. I have checked the gas cap to make sure it is seated properly. Can you give a few ideas of what may be causing this?
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 8:24 AM

Hi:
To start, check the fuel tank and fuel lines under the vehicle to look for leaks or evidence of leaks. If there are none, do the same under the hood. Loog for leaks near the injectors, fuel rail, fuel line. If everyting looks good, I want you to take the vehicle to a nationally recognized auto parts store like Advance or Auto Zone. Usually at no charge, they will scan the computer for trouble codes. By doing this, we will know if a sensor is causing the problem and which one it is.

Let me know what you find.

ALSO, REGARDLESS IF YOU FIND A LEAK OR NOT, HAVE THE COMPUTER SCANNED AND RESET.
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 5:08 PM
DEPUTYSAJ
Autozone says it's a large vacuum leak. Most likely a faulty gas cap. So that is where I will start. Thanks for the info. I will reply back if thats not it.
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 5:43 PM
Hi:
Ok, they found a EVAP falt code. The gas cap is the easiest thing to try first. If the light comes on again, go to the EVAP canister and check for cracks, broken vacuum hoses, or disconnect vac hoses. If there is no luck there, check for vacuum leaks on the engine itself. If that fails, you may have a defective vent / purge solenoid.

We will cross that road when we reach it. I hope the gas cap fixes it.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need help.

Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 9:08 PM
DEPUTYSAJ
Looks like so far it was the gas cap. I replaced the factory cap with a locking one when gas prices started hitting $4 a gallon. I put the old cap back on and knock on wood it's been 4 days and no problems. Thanks for all your help.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 12:37 PM
Hi:
That is good news. I hope it continues to work.

Positive feedback and votes are appreciated.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 1:51 PM