Location of Fuel Pressure Regulator

JIMZER
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
Hey there

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee SPORT. I can't seem to find where the FPR is located. Is it inside the tank with the fuel pump, and, if so can I replace the FPR without having to replace the new pump? The pump is only a couple of years old, but I didn't install it myself, so I don't know.
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 4:36 PM

SATURNTECH9
The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump module and not able to replace it by itself.
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 4:43 PM
JIMZER
Wow. Bad News. You junked my good day. Just kidding. Just to make sure we are on the same page here. We are talking about a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Right?
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 4:54 PM
ADRIAN GONZALES
Can you also send the info to: Agonzy1@aol. Com
Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 1:15 PM
KEN

Yes the tank must be removed and the fuel pump replaced to fix the problem. Here is a guide that will help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 12:34 PM
JEEPSOS
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
The following post was displayed on June 28, 2010, and I would like to get the FPR info. From my understanding, it is hard to find the correct FPR for this vehicle. Opinion question for you: If you have to drop the tank to replace the FPR, why wouldn't a professional mechanic who has been around a while not recommend doing this at the same time the pump is done? It is an expensive labor job. Just curious. Here is the previous post:

Question:
Hey there-

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee SPORT. I can't seem to find where the FPR is located. Is it inside the tank with the fuel pump, and, if so can I replace the FPR without having to replace the new pump? The pump is only a couple of years old, but I didn't install it myself, so I don't know

Answer:

Additional Answer
Yes that is correct I emailed you the information on your fuel pressure regulator to your personal email.

If I could get that info, it would be very much appreciated. It was answered by saturntech9.
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 12:35 PM (Merged)
If there were no code then he wouldn't replace it looking at rock auto I see a fuel pressure regulator but looks like it goes on rail96 doesn't show a internal fuel pressure regulator but 97 does so it would maybe depend on build date of vehicle. And 97 you can get a pump or the module. So it really depends if engine light was on or not. If not then he wouldn't replace it.